Summer is here and so is the barbecue season in my part of the world.While it may be scorching and sweltering in summer heat in some parts of the world,the British Summer is rather pleasant with average temperature of 15 degree Celsius ,with occasional bouts of rain to cool down.
The roads are lined with summer flowers, swaying to gentle summer breeze.We are making most of the season as long as it lasts,travelling to the countryside ,the lake lands and having barbecues at our place. Grilled meat in different form in accompaniment with salads is our absolute favorite.
Last weekend while the weather was at it’s best,I decided to make some Chicken Reshmi Kebabs.As the name suggests,literal translation of it means silken chicken kebabs.The indirect heat from the tandoor or oven cooks the meat very slowly retaining all the moisture.
Children can also enjoy this kebab as it is really mild in taste and very low on spice content . The perfect balance of the marination make the tender meat even more juicy,succulent ,moist and as smooth as silk. Whoever,came up with the name ,gave it the name that it truly deserves. They are delicate morsels of yum!Indeed!Serve the kebabs with Mint -Coriander Chutney,salad and hot naan breads for a complete meal or serve them on their own as starter to the main course.
Boneless chicken cubes 500 gm,cut into small cubes
Salt to taste
White pepper,to taste (optional)
Unsalted butter for brushing on top
2 tablespoon Ginger -Garlic paste
1 table spoon Lime juice
4 Green chili , finely chopped
A handful of coriander leaves and mint leaves
2 tablespoon Greek yogurt or hung curd
2 tablespoon Fresh Cream
3 tablespoon cashew nut- almond paste(10 of each approximately)
4 tablespoon Cornflour/Cornstarch
Salt to taste
- Pat the chicken with paper towels to remove extra moisture.
- In a bowl mix together chicken with salt and white pepper and set aside.
- Then prepare the first marination taking together ginger garlic paste,finally chopped green chilies ,chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves,as well as lemon juice.
- Rub the chicken thoroughly with the mixture,and let it marinate in the fridge,well covered for 2-3 hours or preferably overnight .
- Remove the chicken from refrigerator an hour before cooking to bring it to the room temperature.
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 10 minutes so that the skin loosen.Thereafter press each one between your thumb and index finger so that the skin splits and can be removed easily.
- Marinate the chicken with rest of the ingredients.
- Thread the chicken pieces into the skewers,if using bamboo sticks as skewers make sure to immerse the sticks in water for half an hour to avoid burning.
- Place the skewered chicken in a foil lined baking tray.
- Brush the chicken generously with melted unsalted butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius in grill mode.
- Grill the chicken for 7-8 minutes,remove the chicken and flip over.
- Keep checking in between, and brush with melted butter whenever necessary.
- Grill for about 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Once done remove from the chicken cubes from the skewers.
- Serve hot with Mint chutney
Recipe for Mint Yogurt Chutney..
1/3 cup yogurt
A handful of mint leaves and coriander leaves
A green chili,finely chopped
1 tablespoon roasted cumin powder
1 tablespoon chaat masala
1 teaspoon black salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mango powder
- Take the yogurt in a bowl,beat it with a whisk or spoon till smooth.
- Mix the spice powders and salt with the yogurt.
- Grind the coriander leaves,mint leaves and green chili with little water.
- Mix the freshly ground green chutney with the yogurt.
- Blend the ingredients till they are well combined.
- Serve the mint chutney with Chicken Reshmi Kebab or any other tandoori snack .
Related posts :
Kaju Murgi /Cashew Chicken